We have another fabulous guest blogger joining us this week for ‘Kids Tea Tuesdays’!
Launched in 2016 whilst starting maternity leave, Hollie began ThriftyMum which is a growing blog and online community for savvy parents, who want to continue a great lifestyle, whilst juggling the financial constraints of bringing up children. Hollie is sharing her mid-week family favourite, burritos, with us today. I don’t know about yours, but my lot love anything that they can eat with their hands and the messier, the better!!
- 4 tbsp chopped red onion, cucumber, tomato, coriander, mint and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 onion, 1 red and 1 green pepper
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 380g lean beef mince (5% fat or less)
- 2 tsp ground cumin and paprika, 1 tsp ground cinnamon and artificial sweetener
- 400g can of tomatoes and kidney beans
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tortillas
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 Tbsp of fresh lime juice or lemon juice
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 chilli, stems and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- Black pepper
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- Make the salsa: place the red onion, cucumber, tomato, coriander, mint and lemon juice in a small bowl, mix and set aside.
- Prepare the beef filling: peel and chop the onion and dice the peppers. Spray a pan with low calorie cooking spray and fry off the onion and mince for 5-6 minutes. Add the, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, sweetener, peppers, tomatoes, drained kidney beans and soy sauce. Season, bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Make the guacamole: Halve and scoop out the avocado pulp and mush up with a fork. Add in the lime juice, red onion, chilli, tomato, coriander and season with black pepper to taste.
- Spoon the beef mixture onto the tortillas. Serve with the salsa and guacamole and a scoop of sour cream.
- I like to serve mine with chopped lettuce and savoury rice (which I just buy in a packet!)
- Enjoy your Mid-week Messy Burritos!!
Let me know what you think of this recipe in the comments below and if you’d like to see more of Hollie, you can also find her on:
The most popular Kid’s Tea Tuesdays recipes this week were:
Why not give one a go this week and let me know how it goes down with your family?
We all have our own family favourites, store cupboard classics and frugal food tricks up our sleeves, so why not share yours with us? I’ll be sharing guest posts from fellow bloggers and also any tips, tricks or recipes sent in by you! If you would like to get involved, click here to drop me a message.
Click here for more quick, cheap and healthy dinner ideas and follow my blog for regular Kids Tea Tuesdays! xx